Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Equal Pay Day

Did you know on average a woman makes 77¢ for every $1 a man makes? This is for doing the exact same job. Ask Lilly Ledbetter. 

Tuesday, April 8 was Equal Pay Day. Equal Pay Day marks
the symbolic point in the year when women’s earnings catch up with their male
peers’. That is to say, a woman would have to work from January 1, 2013 until
April 8, 2014 to make what a man made in 2013 alone.


Watch and Listen to Lilly Ledbetter and President Obama speak about pay equity here.

Contact your senators and tell them to support the Pay Check Fairness Act. Don't know how to contact them? Go here.


Well? GO!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, pretty astonishing considering it's the year 2014 and gender equality is still anything but equal. I hope this brings more awareness to the situation and also sheds light on similar circumstances of such injustice. Although I've worked in mostly retail, Nordstrom, Wells Fargo and Pottery Barn ALL have mostly women in their store-level and upper-management departments and I wonder if this is a big reason why. Very interesting subject...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post on this. I truly had no clue that April 8 was equal pay day and I am disappointed that I missed that. I was aware of the difference between men's and women's pay and it still blows my mind that we are in the 21st century and still have such a disparity. 23 cents might not sound like a lot but when you describe it in terms of having to work an extra 4 months to get the same amount as a male it really does hit home. I wonder if there are any projections out there that predict when the two will finally catch up and even out? That'd be interesting to see how far out we are from pay equality.

    ReplyDelete