Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I Hate This Thing!

I have two daughters. I think they take great delight in harassing me. 
I know- I can't believe it, either. Me! 
Their Mother! 
How dare they... I mean, 
... I have never...  In all my life...
I am aghast!

Well, their favorite trick is to put this despicable, nasty, awful fake- completely fake- cockroach near me when I least expect it and watch me startle and let out a mild "shriek" every time I see it. I mean, it looks fake when you look straight on. But, when you just catch it out of the corner of your eye- which is what apparently always happens to me- it can be convincing. I jump and "eek" every time they do it.
Every.
Single.
Time.

It never fails. It is completely ridiculous! It is especially effective when I am preoccupied with something; be it homework, or making dinner, or reading, or paying bills, or any number of things. One of my little punk daughters will just casually set it near me and when I catch sight of it from the corner of my eye- it is an autonomic reflex. I have no control over it. I do that little "jump-startle" thing with my body, I let out a shriek- not really a shriek, because it isn't loud and shrill. But, a "startled noise"- you know what I'm talking about. 

And, I think now that they have done it so many times and I still have the very same response, it is just that much more amusing to them. 

Children. Li'l cockroaches!
Completely fake cockroach, but the blasted thing gets me every time!

5 comments:

  1. Wow!

    I would be equally devastated in frightened. My friends know me to be VERY afraid of any type of bug. They labeled my scream as a "murder scream" which is what comes out of my mouth when any creature comes flying, crawling or magically appearing in my presence. Ugh, I feel for you!

    But, I bet when they are older, you will have these stories to share, cockroach and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Moran Thinka Im using a friends computer I dont know why it says its his reply just an FYI:

      My Grandmother did something similiar to me on a halloween long ago. She called out to me from the kitchen and I immediately ran to help her and she said look and there was a big trachila on the floor by the refrigerator. She was standing there looking at it and I said stay away from it those things can jump! Well I was thinking of using a broom or something to get it out of the house but she went and picked it up and I was like GRANDMA! and she threw it at me. Ofcourse I was terrified and screamed to only find out it was a plastic tranchela. Well thats what happen on one halloween when I was a teenager.

      Delete
  2. That is funny. You got to hand it to your daughters for distracting you from those fun tasks of doing homework or paying bills. I have a nine year old who just loves to jump out and surprise me. Why is it they take so much pleasure in seeing us lose it, I don't know…well it is kinda funny when you think about our reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ruthless! I HATE cockroaches, so I can relate to the startle reflex you experience every time your kids prank you. It sounds like you have a pretty great relationship with your daughters. Have you considered purchasing a fake rubber rattlesnake to sit in one of their closets? A coworker of mine used to put one behind any and every door or drawer. It got me every time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahhaaha how funny. I do have to admit that cockroach looks pretty real. Would have freaked out too!

    ReplyDelete